Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Paint!!

Every morning, I eat breakfast on the steps of the deck and look around the garden. Every morning, the white plastic chairs in the gazebo are whoopin' it up an' hollerin' out how cheap and plastic they are. Just look at them in my first post. Real loud, too, like they just hopped off the Greyhound from Alabama or somewhere. So I started looking around for replacements. Yikes! Nice chairs are pretty expensive, even at the current end-of-season prices. So I searched out some paint. Much cheaper. The kid at Home Depot who unlocked the paint jail(after asking to see my ID-I'm so flattered!) assured me a can of spray paint is good for like 3, maybe 4 chairs -HA! Do not believe the kid in Home Depot. It was barely one can per chair. But since each can was $4.97, it was still way less than even buying brand new cheap white chairs. I purchased RustOleum Hammered Paint for Plastic in Dark Bronze and sprayed till my finger ached. One chair done, 5 more to go! It wasn't long till I realized the white table wasn't going to do it with my newly refined chairs. So it was back to Home Depot for the regular ol' RustOleum Hammered Paint (2 cans @$5.97) for that. Paint is so cool. Now I sit on the steps with my cereal, and my chairs just give me a polite little nod hello. It's like I sent them to charm school.

This is not the first time Mr. RustOleum and I have crossed paths. The lovely terra cotta statue under the lilac? She's an imposter! When Tim brought her home, she was plain old cement white. She had a brief stint as an extra in P.S. 193's production of "Orpheus and the Underworld", where she was tarted up with some color, but after she came back home, I hosed her down with some TerraCotta Spray Paint and Voila! she no longer looks like some chick you'd find on the curb.

No comments: