Sunday, July 1, 2007

The other side of the fence

Here's a photo from the front garden-the other side of the lattice fence in the pond photo on June 20th. This area was so vexing for years. It was Goldilocks gardening: plants were too big, too small, too dead, too perfect somewhere else... I'm finally starting to like the current lineup. I purchased the yellowy leaved heuchera from White Flower Farm last year with the two ferns whose name escapes me and a climbing "New Dawn" rose that is not blooming right now alongside the pink rose to the left. The pink rose is an original flower carpet rose that's about 12 years old now. It looks nicer on the fence than on the ground. I added the darker heuchera behind the yellowy ones when we divided some from the front yard. It has wispy pink flowers that look really sweet next to the darker foliage. Behind the ferns is a nice shrub we got this spring at BBG, a ninebark (physocarpus opulifolius 'Minda'). I never heard of it before, but it's pretty. We'll see how it holds up.
We went away on vacation last week-it's cool when I haven't seen the garden in several days-so much has changed. I'll take some pictures tomorrow and share them.
Oh, almost forgot-one of the turtles is AWOL. Tim looked all over for him. We're hoping he's having happy turtle adventures...

No comments: