Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Hi!

OK, so Karen has pushed me over the edge. I've been pondering a blog lately with all the Web 2.0 going on at work, and her blog http://houseofcakes.com/ made me decide to do my own. I hope to document changes and improvements we've made. Relying on my memory just doesn't cut it anymore.
When we bought our humble abode in 1993, humble wasn't the word. Woeful was more like it: a weed filled yard, garage without doors, a weird rusted shed, and a house begging for some TLC. When we walked in the front door, the house was full of natural light and there was a great big yard out back. We were hooked.
Since then, we've planted trees, removed trees, planted shrubbery, removed shrubbery, you get the idea. It's been kinda hit or miss, but after 14 years, we're finally getting the hang of being Mr & Mrs Farmer Brown and enjoying our yard. Every day something new has begun, and I look forward to my morning walk round the house to see what's happening.

Some of today's pictures: We added the gazebo,brick pavers and stones last fall. That bed in front is geranium, iris, black eye susans, hosta (and an annual you can't see yet that might be castor bean? I saved the seeds and started it indoors this spring) that was planted in the fall, too. The lilac to the left was hauled over from next to the deck, and before that it came from my neighbor Debbie's yard when they put in their pool ages ago. Everything has a story, and I'm getting ahead of myself...
Now we're moving alongside Al's fence. Hate the fence. But my plants need the morning sun that comes through, and Tim & I can't agree on a fence, so that's how the view is for now. Grrr. The big hydrangea came from my sister-in-law Sharon's front yard. We found the urn behind my Uncle John's shed-he'd salvaged it from an old estate- and he let us drag that home. The stones are a story in themselves.







Lastly, here's the pond on the side of the house. Currently home to a goldfish and two turtles. I'll save the story about them for another post. Daniel just Thoro-sealed the foundation for us, so the red Buddha by the bench hasn't been put back properly yet. He sits with his legs folded and his foot is a little obscene looking where it is if you look quick, so I like to keep it PG and cover his lap with mulch. I'll be doing that real soon.
Close up-see what I mean??


Sorry to leave you with that image.
Tune in next time for some before photos!

No comments: